To find out how a Los Angeles bicycle accident attorney can help you with your injury claim, give us a call today.
Boasting countless bike trails and bike lanes, Los Angeles is a haven for cyclists. You can hardly go anywhere without seeing bicycle commuters or those who ride for pleasure pedaling away. But because our city also has some of the worst traffic in the world, bicycle-car collisions are an almost daily occurrence.
Bikes typically weigh a handful of pounds, while cars can weigh more than a ton. That means cyclists usually come out of collisions with the worst of the injuries.
If you’re one of the many Los Angeles cyclists injured because of negligent drivers, you deserve compensation for every hardship you’ve been forced to endure. For help getting everything you’re entitled to, work with a Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer at Haffner Law.
The Rules of the Road
Despite the actions and feelings of reckless drivers, Los Angeles bicycle riders do have a right to share the roadway, according to California law. You have every right to be there, but motorists may mistakenly believe they have the right-of-way at all times. This can quickly cause serious bicycle accidents.
In fact, outside of a few small exceptions, you’re subject to the same rules and have the same rights as other motorists when you’re on your bike. When you’re injured because another party failed to recognize that, you have a right to seek compensation for your damages.
What Causes Los Angeles Bike Wrecks?
Finding the true cause of your Los Angeles bike accident is going to be an important part of identifying the person you should name in your claim for compensation. The following are some common causes of bicycle accidents:
- Not Yielding Right-of-Way – Almost every avid Los Angeles cyclist has a story like this: You’re on your bike and going through a green light, and a driver going the opposite way makes a left turn directly across your path. If this sounds like the story of your crash, get in touch with an attorney.
- Dooring – Because California law requires cyclists to ride as close to the right edge of the road as possible, you might find yourself pedaling right beside parked cars. When a motorist opens his or her door, instantly creating an obstacle in a cyclist’s path, wrecks can occur. This is called “dooring,” and you might be able to hold the motorist accountable.
- Drunk Drivers – Just as drunk drivers pose dangers to other motorists, they pose dangers to bicycle riders. However, the danger may be compounded because bikes have no exterior protection and motorists are less likely to see cyclists, particularly when they’re driving drunk. Intoxicated driving is a negligent behavior.
- Distracted Drivers – Texting while driving is the most famous example of distracted driving, but, really, anything that takes a driver’s focus off the road counts. If you were hurt by a distracted driver, you can name the motorist in your claim for compensation.
- Drowsy Drivers – Driving drowsy is dangerous. In fact, some research suggests it’s nearly as dangerous as buzzed driving in some cases.
- Breaking Traffic Laws – Speeding, running red lights, and various other traffic law violations can easily cause bicycle wrecks in Los Angeles.
How to Maximize Your Compensation
Placing an appropriate value on your claim and fighting for every last cent of it is perhaps the most valuable service your Los Angeles bike accident attorney can offer you. You’re already painfully aware of the need for compensation after you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, and you don’t want to leave money on the table by not working with an experienced attorney.
The following are some recoverable damages for Los Angeles bike crash claims:
- All medical bills
- Damage to your bike
- Lost income during your recovery period
- Compensation for income you won’t be able to earn because of your injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Wrongful death
Team Up with a Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Attorney
The sad truth is that many bike accidents are not the fault of the cyclist. They’re more often the fault of careless drivers who see no need to keep cyclists’ safety in mind.
At Haffner Law, we believe those drivers should be held financially accountable for the hardships and suffering they cause. That’s why we recommend that you team up with us if you’ve been hurt in a bike crash.
To speak with an experienced Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer, give our firm a call at 1-844-HAFFNER (423-3637). If you would prefer to get in touch online, you may enter your information into the online contact form at the bottom of this page.