Los Angeles Commercial Vehicular Accidents Attorneys
Wherever there is traffic, there is a good chance of accidents occurring. The fact that commercial vehicles frequently cause traffic accidents adds a new set of complications to any case involving an accident. Drivers of commercial vehicles are subject to stricter safety regulations than drivers of other vehicles because they operate commercial vehicles, including semi-trucks, buses, and other similar vehicles.
If you were hurt in a traffic accident that was caused by the negligence of a commercial vehicle, you need an experienced Los Angeles commercial vehicle attorney to identify the many different factors that will come into play, ranging from the extensive damages to the overwhelming aftereffects.
At Haffner Law, experienced commercial vehicular accident attorneys are dedicated to aggressively defending your claim. Our dedicated legal team has the skill, knowledge, and determination to fight for the compensation you are entitled to. Give us a call now and discover how we can assist you!
Why Do I Need a California Commercial Vehicular Accidents Attorney?
When a commercial vehicle is involved in an automobile accident, things have the potential to become highly complicated. Was the driver an employee or a contract worker? Were any state or federal laws violated? What types of insurance coverage are available? Aside from the commercial driver, did anyone else contribute to the accident?
These are all important questions, but you don’t have to deal with them alone. Allow Haffner Law to handle all aspects of your case from beginning to end.
- Examine the circumstances of your commercial vehicle accident
- Determine what happened and who is to blame
- Determine all potential financial recovery options
- Bring in experts to assist us in developing and evaluating the value of your case
- Defend yourself against allegations that you are partially to blame
- Negotiate fair settlement amounts with transportation companies and their insurance providers
- If you are not offered a fair settlement, take your case to trial
Concentrate on taking care of yourself and improving. Trust that our well-experienced Los Angeles commercial vehicle accident lawyer will win your personal injury case and get you every penny you deserve.
Reach out to our Los Angeles law office today and schedule a free consultation!
What are Commercial Vehicular Accidents?
A “commercial vehicle,” according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, is a vehicle used to transport persons for hire, compensation, or profit (such as a car used by an employee to perform their job duties) or a vehicle used primarily for the transportation of property. Commercial vehicles may refer to semi trucks, big rigs, 18-wheelers, or tractor-trailers, but they are not the only type.
The following automobiles are eligible to be registered as commercial motor vehicles in the United States:
- Multipurpose vehicles
- Pickup trucks with a camper
- Motor trucks
- Water well-drilling rigs
- Business station wagons
- Passenger-type vehicles transporting persons for hire, including taxis and limos
Commercial vehicle operators and their employers face higher standards than other types of vehicle operators. Assuming you were involved in a commercial vehicular accident, it is crucial to hire the services of a skilled Los Angeles commercial vehicle accident lawyer who can determine who is liable for damages and pursue compensation on your behalf.
Types of Commercial Vehicle Accidents in Los Angeles
Despite their importance in society, commercial vehicles can pose a risk to motorists, especially when their drivers are negligent. The following are the most common commercial vehicle accidents in Los Angeles.
If you have been involved in a commercial vehicle accident in Los Angeles, contact Haffner Law immediately for legal advice and representation.
- Jackknife Accident – occurs when a big rig’s cab forms a 90-degree angle with the trailer due to hard braking. The trailer’s weight overcomes the cab’s traction.
- Truck Rollovers – if a truck driver loses control, it can roll over and hit innocent drivers.
- Tire Blowout – can happen to any vehicle, sending it swerving.
- Wide Turn Accidents – when a driver “swings” left to turn right. Unaware drivers can trap vehicles or pedestrians in rear or right-side traffic.
- Blind Spots – “No Man’s Land” refers to a truck’s blind spots. When a truck driver can’t see other vehicles while changing lanes, they could be hit, crushed, or forced off the road.
- Rear-end Collisions – rear-end trucking accidents can cause serious property damage, catastrophic injury, and death.
- Underride Accidents – smaller vehicles can become lodged under a truck’s trailer if it stops quickly. Underride accidents are among the deadliest trucking accidents.
- Lost Load – improperly loaded freight and truck loads can fall out, causing multi-car accidents.
- Head-on Collisions – reckless, negligent, or lost drivers can drift into oncoming traffic. Head-on collisions can occur when drivers don’t yield at red lights, stop signs, or other intersections.
- T-Bone Accidents – can happen when a truck driver runs a red light and collides with another vehicle perpendicularly.
- Sideswipe Accidents – similar to a T-bone collision, except the cars travel in the same direction.
Causes of Commercial Vehicular Accidents in Los Angeles
Demand from customers is the primary force behind the trucking industry. And as this demand continues to soar, so do the strict requirements placed on truck drivers and trucking companies. The increasing demand and scheduling constraints are a burden that is felt by truck drivers and the companies that employ them. As a consequence, the observance of safety rules and regulations is not always prioritized.
However, this does not relieve truck drivers or trucking companies of the responsibility they have to ensure the safe operation of their vehicles. The following are most commonly associated with accidents involving commercial vehicles on our roads:
- Distracted driving
- Improper lane changes
- Driving under the influence
- A truck parked on the shoulder of a highway
- Fatigued driving
- Improper loading of cargo
- Overloaded or oversized freight and cargo trucks
- Mechanical defects
- Road conditions
- Incorrect driver training
- Tailgating or reckless driving
- Rushed delivery schedules
- Road rage
If you have been involved in a commercial truck accident because of someone’s negligence, give our commercial vehicle accident law office a call to find out more about how we can assist you.
What are the Common Los Angeles Commercial Vehicle Accidents Injuries?
Commercial vehicle accidents are frequently devastating and can result in various life-threatening and severe injuries. These catastrophic accidents almost always result in multiple significant injuries, including the following:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Burn injuries
- Spinal cord injury
- Neck injury
- Torn ligaments
- Torn tendons
- Fractured bones
- Catastrophic injury
Who’s Liable in Commercial Vehicular Accidents?
Although driver error contributes to a significant number of accidents involving commercial vehicles, it is by no means the only factor.
Accidents involving commercial vehicles are typically more difficult to resolve than typical car accidents because of the higher probability that multiple defendants are involved. A well-experienced personal injury attorney in Los Angeles may take into consideration the following additional essential factors:
- The driver’s employer
- Trucking company
- Vehicle part manufacturers for product liability
- Mechanics/Maintenance companies
- Leasing company owner
- Governmental entities
- Other drivers
What’s My Case Worth After a Crash Involving a Commercial Vehicle?
Your case depends on the nature of the injuries you’ve sustained and the effects the accident will have on you in the long run. Important considerations include
- The current and future medical bills for treatment
- Property damage and the cost of repairing or replacing it
- The amount of money and benefits you’ve lost because you’ve been out of work
- Whether you’ll be able to return to your previous job
- How much responsibility do you bear for your commercial vehicle accident
- The severity of your pain and suffering
The more serious the trauma, the more valuable a related personal injury case will likely be. However, each case is unique. Please speak with our knowledgeable commercial vehicle accident lawyer in Los Angeles to learn more about your specific situation. We can provide advice and a preliminary estimate of the value of your personal injury case.
What Type of Compensation Can I Receive in a Commercial Vehicle Accident Case?
If you have been hurt due to an accident involving a commercial vehicle, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible and then speak with a Los Angeles commercial vehicular lawyer. You may be eligible to claim the following economic damages and noneconomic damages:
- Past and future medical bills
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Nursing care
- Loss of earnings
- Damage to property and belongings
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Emotional distress
- Wrongful death
The consequences of commercial truck accidents are difficult to overstate. Allow your experienced personal injury attorney in Los Angeles to carefully assess all of your damages and advocate aggressively for the compensation to which you are entitled. Although no settlement or verdict can ever make up for what you lost in the accident, just compensation can help you navigate the difficult road to fully recovering your health.
Does your claim qualify for punitive damages?
Punitive damages may also be awarded. These are frequently awarded on a large scale, allowing plaintiffs to receive compensation far above the value of their injuries. How punitive damages are calculated depends on the jury. However, the amount cannot exceed nine times the actual damages awarded under the law.
Punitive damages are governed by California Civil Code section 3294(a), which states that such damages are only available in cases where the defendant not only demonstrated negligence common in commercial vehicle accident claims but also demonstrated intentional harm or extreme recklessness.
Punitive damages are intended to punish such malicious behavior and deter dangerous conduct.
Can I Get Compensation If I’m Partly to Blame?
Yes. The state of California follows the rule of pure comparative negligence. This indicates that the amount of your blame will reduce the money you are owed. Your compensation will be reduced by 20 percent if you are responsible for 20 percent of the incident.
How to Win My Personal Injury Case After a Commercial Vehicle Crash?
Most personal injury lawsuits involving collisions involving commercial vehicles are founded on allegations of negligent behavior. Because of the carelessness of one individual, another individual sustained a severe injury.
If you want to win your personal injury lawsuit, you will need to demonstrate the following elements of negligence:
- Duty of care. The defendant was responsible for providing you with a duty of care.
- Breach of duty. The defendant did not behave reasonably in some way and breached the duty of care.
- Causation. The actions or inactions of the defendant were the direct cause of the harm you experienced.
- Damages. You suffered damages
In commercial vehicle accident lawsuits, the required burden of proof is referred to as “by a preponderance of the evidence.” This indicates that your argument needs to be more likely true than not. You will need evidence to win your case regarding the car crash accident. This could include the following:
- Medical records
- Accident and police reports
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Experts’ opinion
- Photographs of the scene
- Documentation of property damage
- Images of victim injuries
- Vehicle maintenance logs and records
- Documents demonstrating a pattern of driver negligence
- Video of the car crash
- Evidence of safety regulations
Our Los Angeles commercial vehicle accident attorneys have decades of experience dealing with insurance companies, trucking companies, and other well-funded opponents you’ll face in court. We understand which pieces of evidence can influence the decision in your favor.
When Should I File a Lawsuit After a Crash With a Commercial Vehicle in California?
Although we want our clients to recover quickly and completely, we also urge you to act as soon as possible if you intend to file a claim against the negligent party. Different types of claims have different rules.
If you have been injured in a commercial vehicular accident, the statute of limitations in California for personal injury lawsuits is two years.
If you have lost a loved one due to a car crash, you have two years to file a wrongful death claim.
Suppose you are in a commercial vehicle accident but did not sustain any injuries. Your vehicle may have significant damage. The property damage statute of limitations is three years after the accident.
Claims against government agencies must be filed with the agency within six months (for some cases, one year) of the incident. The only exceptions to this statute of limitations are if the accident victim was a minor or the injury had not yet been discovered. Minor victims are unable to act until they reach the age of 18. However, if the minor has little to no insurance coverage, a parent or guardian can represent them.
Individuals who have suffered a serious or catastrophic injury may be unaware of what occurred immediately following an accident. They would be granted two years from the date of discovery by the courts.
If you let the statute of limitations run out, you will lose your right to seek compensation. Don’t let a careless driver or other negligent party get away with causing an accident! Call Haffner Law right away. Our team is available around the clock to help you when you need it the most.
Call our Competent Los Angeles Commercial Vehicular Lawyer Now!
Regardless of the type of commercial vehicle accident that caused your injuries, you should not be held liable for damages due to others’ negligence. You can pursue the compensation you deserve through an insurance claim or lawsuit with the assistance of our experienced Los Angeles commercial vehicle accident attorney.At Haffner Law, our team is solely devoted to assisting Los Angeles residents whose lives have been irreparably altered by catastrophic personal injuries. We recognize that an unexpected injury sustained in a commercial vehicle accident can have a lifelong impact, so we are pleased to offer full-service assistance to all our clients. Whether you require aggressive courtroom representation, basic legal counsel, or assistance locating a doctor who will treat your injuries, Haffner Law is here for you. You owe it to yourself to get the best legal representation who can fight for your rights. Allow us to be your legal team. Call us today!