Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you’re on foot, you’re at a serious disadvantage when you come up against a multi-ton vehicle. In your fight for compensation, gain the upper hand by hiring a Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorney.
Although pedestrian-car accidents accounted for only around one in ten Los Angeles crashes in recent years, they claimed more than a third of roadway deaths. That figure may shock you, but it’s hardly a surprise to the attorneys at Haffner Law.
That’s because we’ve taken on many reckless drivers who have hurt pedestrians. We know how little regard many motorists have for the walkers, joggers, and other pedestrians who choose to travel without wheels.
If you have been the victim of a car-pedestrian accident, you may beentitled to compensation for your damages. To find out your best next steps and for help along the way, reach out to a Los Angeles pedestrian accident lawyer at our firm.
What Does a Pedestrian Accident Look Like?
Anyone who is on the road or sidewalk and is not in a car or on a bicycleis considered a pedestrian. That means Los Angeles pedestrian accidents may include walkers, runners, joggers, skateboarders, rollerskaters, and many others.
All of the above pedestrians have the right-of-waywhen they’re in a crosswalk, regardless of whether the crosswalk is marked by white lines, in front of a stop sign, or otherwise. However, many motorists actively resent having to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Unfortunately, this is the foundation for a large portion of pedestrian accidents.
When Pedestrians Are Hurt in Los Angeles
Pedestrian accidents can take many forms, but all have the potential to be devastating. Determining the cause of your pedestrian accident will be the cornerstone of your claim for compensation because it will also identify who should be held responsible for your injuries.
The following are some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Los Angeles:
- Driving Distracted – A driver who is texting instead of focusing on the road could easily overlook a sign indicating a crosswalk—as well as a pedestrian in that crosswalk.
- Driving Drunk – Intoxicated driving is one of the most serious dangers plaguing Los Angeles roads, and that danger goes double for pedestrians. That’s because pedestrians have no protection from the immense weight and speed of an out-of-control vehicle, and they often have no time to get out of the way when a drunk driver is driving unpredictably.
- Driving Drowsy – Falling asleep at the wheel can cause a driver to drift to the side of the road and up onto a sidewalk, which can injure multiple pedestrians at one time. But even when drowsy drivers don’t fall asleep, their ability to react to people and objects in the road is hindered by their fatigue.
- Failing to Yield – Sometimes this is the result of road rage, and other times it’s the result of a profound misunderstanding of California traffic laws. Either way, if a driver failed to yield and hit you with his or her car as a result, you can sue.
- Speeding – Violating the speed limit is common, but it’s illegal, and it puts pedestrians and other motorists in danger.
- No Turn Signal – Most pedestrians know to look both ways before crossing the street, but they can’t know a driver is going to turn at an intersection unless he or she uses a turn signal. Without a turn signal to warn them, Los Angeles pedestrians might enter a crosswalk believing that the oncoming car will stop. You can hold a driver accountable for your injuries if he or she failed to use a turn signal before hitting you.
Fighting for Your Financial Future
The instant a car or truck crashes into you, everything you’ve worked for and the life you’ve come to know and love is put on the line. Your physical wellbeing is in danger of being permanently compromised, and your financial future could involve mountains of medical debt and an inability to work.
That’s why it’s so important that you are fairly compensated for pedestrian accident injuries that weren’t your fault. Your Los Angeles pedestrian injury lawyer may be able to recover the following damages for you:
- Healthcare expenses
- Lost income
- Inability to return to work
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death of your loved one
Contact a Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Attorney
After you’re injured in a pedestrian accident that wasn’t your fault, two simple facts are true: You need compensation, and the person responsible for your injuries should be held accountable. The attorneys at Haffner Law can work to make sure both of those things happen.Give us a call at 1-844-HAFFNER (423-3637) or fill out the contact form below to schedule a free consultation with a Los Angeles pedestrian accident lawyer.