Los Angeles Birth-Related Medical Malpractice Lawyer
A mother and her baby are particularly vulnerable during pregnancy and at birth. That is why pregnant women trust medical professionals, such as obstetricians, anesthesiologists, and nurses, to take care of them during this sensitive time. In spite of this, physicians can become negligent, which results in injuries to mothers and newborns.
If you or your child are victims of a physician’s negligence during your prenatal checkups or delivery, you have the right to claim compensation for the injuries you have sustained.
If you choose to pursue a lawsuit against your physician, a Los Angeles medical malpractice lawyer from Haffner Law can help you throughout the process. With our extensive legal experience in fighting for and representing medical malpractice victims, we can help you find successful resolution and get the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Medical Malpractice and Negligence to Mothers and Newborns
According to the Birth Injury Center, almost 157,700 preventable injuries to mothers and their newborns occur during childbirth every year. These preventable injuries result from medical negligence or the failure to follow the standard of care, and medical malpractice or the outright deviation from the standard of care during childbirth.
A few of the most common categories of birth-related negligence or malpractice include:
- Surgical Errors
- Prescription and Medication Errors
- Nursing Errors
Types of Birth Injuries
Sometimes, despite a nurse or doctor’s negligence, you or your baby will go on to heal from injuries and live normally. In other cases, though, the injuries you sustain are so severe that they result in lifelong medical and even cognitive problems. This leads to your family incurring substantial medical and financial needs.
Some of the most common birth injuries for an expecting mother resulting from a medical practitioner’s negligence include:
- Anesthesia-related injuries
- Injuries from failure to diagnose or treat preeclampsia
- Injuries from incorrect suturing after an episiotomy or Caesarian section
Similarly, vulnerable newborns are at risk of sustaining injuries when they are being delivered if the assigned doctor is negligent. Some of the birth-related injuries that can befall a newborn include:
- Brain damage or mental retardation
- Cerebral palsy
- Developmental delays
Each birth-related medical claim in Los Angeles comes with its own regulations regarding who can sue and what damages are covered. Additionally, birth-related medical malpractice claims aren’t limited to the examples stated above.
If you or your newborn sustained any type of injury that resulted from negligence or substandard medical care, consult with one of our knowledgeable medical malpractice attorneys so we can help you organize and file a complaint.
Birth Injury Lawsuit and Compensation
If you choose to file for a lawsuit regarding birth-related injuries, contact our firm, Haffner Law. We are an experienced Los Angeles medical malpractice lawyer. We will gather all the details of your case to determine if you, your newborn, or both of you were victims of medical malpractice.
Every birth-related medical malpractice case is different, but the following are the general steps involved in filing a claim:
- Information-gathering/Investigating the claim
- Filing a claim against the medical practitioner/s who committed negligence or malpractice
- Obtaining evidence to support the case
- Resolution outside the court through settlement, if possible
- Court trial
- Verdict and reward
Whether your case goes to trial or you choose to accept a settlement, our trusted medical malpractice lawyers can help you. We are experienced in settlement negotiations and, if you choose not to settle, we understand the legal actions you need to take. Either way, we work to give you and your child the best compensation you deserve.
Speaking of compensation, the following are the factors taken into consideration to determine how much compensation you can receive:
- The cost of your or your child’s medical bills related to the injury as a result of negligence or malpractice
- How much income you have lost as a result of the injury you sustained
- If the injury that you or your newborn child sustained is permanent or will require lifelong care
- If the child was disfigured as a result of the negligence or malpractice
If you and/or your child were proven injured during your pregnancy or delivery because of a medical professional’s negligence, you may be entitled to the following compensations:
- Your current and future medical expenses related to treating the injury
- Long-term care expenses if the injury is permanent or requires lifelong care
- Loss of earning potential for when you cannot work due to injuries. This may also apply to your child if the injuries are serious enough to impact the rest of his or her life.
- Compensation for pain and suffering, which is capped at $250,000 in California. Like the loss of earning potential, this may apply separately to your child, depending on the circumstances of the case.
The Importance of Filing for Birth-Related Medical Malpractice Claims
The process of filing for medical malpractice claims can be lengthy, but that is what experienced lawyers from Haffner Law are here for. We are here to help you because you should not have to suffer physically, emotionally, and financially for the mistakes of medical professionals in whom you placed your trust.
Apart from that, medical malpractice claims are essential for discovering what went wrong in a labor procedure. By determining the cause of negligence, like physicians routinely injuring newborns or performing negligent actions, it is possible to prevent such instances from happening to others. As a result, birth-related medical malpractice claims help maintain high standards of care within the medical community.
Turn to a Trusted Birth-Related Medical Malpractice Attorney in Los Angeles
Here at Haffner Law, we understand that no amount of money can make up for the pain and suffering you or your child suffered because of someone else’s negligence. However, we can help you alleviate some of the burden, especially when it comes to potentially crippling medical expenses, by representing you in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
If you, your child, or both of you received birth-related injuries, contact the experienced Los Angeles medical malpractice lawyers at Haffner Law. We will guide you through the complex process of filing for a claim and help you build a strong case so you can get the compensation you rightfully deserve.For a free consultation, give us a call at 1-844-HAFFNER (423-3637) today.