Experienced. Reliable. Capable. We Look Out for You.
- No Hidden Fees Involved
- No Obligation to Continue Beyond the Case Review
- Get All Your Legal Questions Answered
Notable Case Results
Class Action Mortgage Broker Rest Break
Wrongful Death/Personal Injury
Bank of AmericaMortgage Broker Wage Class Action
Brain Injury Settlement
Wrongful Death/Personal Injury
Bank of America Mortgage Broker Wage Class Action
no fees until you get paid
Los Angeles Boating Accident Lawyer
Boat accidents can lead to catastrophic property damage, injuries, and even deaths. If your boat accident was someone else’s fault, work with a Los Angeles boat accident lawyer to get the compensation you deserve.
Because of our proximity to the Pacific Ocean, Los Angeles sees more than its fair share of boating accidents every year. In fact, eighty-seven Southern California boating accidents reportedly occurred in the Pacific in 2016. Forty of those caused injuries, and four were fatal.
Any boat accident poses the risk of serious injuries and even drownings, but victims have it all the worse when the accident was someone else’s fault. You deserve compensation for your injuriesand other damages after a reckless or negligent boater causes your accident. A Los Angeles boating accident lawyer from Haffner Law can help you.
Top Causes of Los Angeles Boat Accidents
You might be the safest, most responsible boater in all of California, but you can’t prevent someone else’s negligence from causing your crash. It’s out of your hands, which is why you should take some of the power back by teaming up with a Los Angeles boat accident attorney.
The following are some of the top causes of boating accidents in the Los Angeles area:
- Inexperience – You have to be at least sixteen years old to legally operate a boat in California, although younger people can operate boats if they’re supervised by adults. Still, kids who are too young and inexperienced to safely operate a vessel get out there and try it all the time. And sometimes they cause accidents.
- Boating Under the Influence – Some recreational boaters would tell you that drinking and boating is an American pastime. The truth of the matter is that operating a boat while drunk is illegal and extremely dangerous. Similar to drunk driving, drunk boating decreases boaters’ awareness and raises the risk for accidents.
- Careless Operation – Whether alcohol is involved or not, some boaters are just careless. They speed and have little regard for the safety of others on the water. These types of boaters can and should be held accountable for their actions when they hurt someone else.
- Faulty Parts – Boat part manufacturers and mechanics are subject to the same requirements as manufacturers of other products. They have to produce safe products. When they fail to do that, Los Angeles boating accidents can occur. You can seek compensation from negligent manufacturers.
- Bad Weather – You can’t control the weather, and it can become particularly volatile at sea.
Your attorney will determine the cause of your boat accident as he or she builds your claim for compensation. This knowledge will likely lead your lawyer to the at-fault party who should be liable for your injuries and damages.
Compensation for Boat Accidents in the Los Angeles Area
Boats come in virtually all shapes and sizes—from kayaks to cruise ships and everything in between. While those in smaller watercraft are more susceptible to drowning and bad weather, those in larger vessels can be injured when they capsize or sink.
Aside from compensation for the cost of repairing or replacing your boat, you may be able to recover damages for the following if someone else caused your Los Angeles boat accident:
- Your medical expenses, extending to future treatments
- Compensation for recovery time that prevented you from earning income
- Reduced quality of life
- Emotional trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder
- Wrongful death for drownings and fatal injuries that strike your loved ones
Boating Insurance Problems
In accidents involving land vehicles like cars and trucks, victims often pursue compensation from insurance companies because California requires drivers to carry insurance. Insurance is often involved with Los Angeles boat accidents, but it isn’t always.
That’s because boat owners in California are not required by law to purchase insurance. While many boaters carry insurance anyway, some don’t, and that can make some Los Angeles boat collisions complicated because you may have to pursue compensation directly from the at-fault boat operator.
Your boat accident attorney will know how to effectively handle your claim so you don’t have to worry about it while you’re already dealing with potentially serious injuries and severe stress.
Call a Los Angeles Boating Accident Attorney
The attorneys at Haffner Law understand that seeking compensation for a boat accident can be confusing at best and unbelievably stressful at worst. We’re here to help you.
To schedule a free consultation with a Los Angeles boating accident lawyer, fill out the online contact form at the bottom of this page or call us directly at 1-844-HAFFNER (423-3637).