Experienced. Reliable. Capable. We Look Out for You.
- No Hidden Fees Involved
- No Obligation to Continue Beyond the Case Review
- Get All Your Legal Questions Answered
Notable Case Results
Class Action Mortgage Broker Rest Break
Wrongful Death/Personal Injury
Bank of AmericaMortgage Broker Wage Class Action
Brain Injury Settlement
Wrongful Death/Personal Injury
Bank of America Mortgage Broker Wage Class Action
no fees until you get paid
Los Angeles Dog Bite Lawyer
No matter how well-trained a dog is, it might still bite you under the right circumstances. If you’ve been hurt by someone else’s dog, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries with the help of a Los Angeles dog bite attorney.
Even the most well-trained dogs have the ability to injure people. While many dog bites may not be serious, some can lead to permanent injuries or death. Even a small canine bite can result in medical bills, lost wages, and emotional trauma.
If you’ve been attacked by a dog, you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim against the dog’s owner.
The first step in pursuing this kind of case is consulting with a Los Angeles dog bite lawyer. The attorneys at Haffner Law will review the evidence, help you explore your legal options, and work on your behalf to secure a fair settlement for the losses and suffering you’ve experienced.
Dog Owner Liability in California
According to California law, a dog owner can be held liable in a civil case if the following statements are true:
- The victim’s injury was indeed caused by a dog bite
- The victim was in a public place or lawfully in a private space when the bite occurred
In addition, California is a “strict liability” state. That means it doesn’t matter if a dog has been vicious prior to its first attack, nor does it matter whether the owner knew of the dog’s penchant for aggressive behavior.
If your injury was caused by a dog bite and you were legally allowed to be where you were when you were bitten, contact a Los Angeles dog attack lawyer to discuss your case.
If your injury was not caused by a dog bite but by other behavior like jumping or scratching, you instead should inquire about bringing a negligence claim against the dog’s owner because the law may cover this type of canine behavior differently.
Your lawyer will know the complexities of the laws governing dog attacks. You can feel confident that he or she will do everything under the law to recover the full value of your claim.
Who Pays After a Dog Bite?
Perhaps you’ve suffered a dog bite but are feeling hesitant to bring a claim against a dog owner for fear that the owner could experience financial hardship as a result. Maybe the owner is your neighbor or even a relative you don’t want to upset. While the owner may ultimately have to pay out of pocket for your expenses, there are other options in many cases.
Depending on the circumstances of your dog bite injury, your claim could be paid by any of the following sources:
- Homeowners Insurance – In most cases, a homeowners insurance policy will cover dog bites sustained on the owner’s property. Many policies have clauses that reduce or suspend coverage after a dog’s first bite.
- Car Insurance – If a dog bite occurs in a car or through an open car window, the owner’s car insurance usually covers the claim.
- Animal Insurance – Certain insurance companies sell coverage for pet owners. If the dog owner in your case has animal insurance, this policy would cover your damages.
- No Insurance – If the dog owner has no insurance policy that covers animal bites, he or she will be held financially responsible.
Los Angeles Dog Bite Compensation
The compensation you receive should account for your financial and non-financial losses after you’re bitten by a dog in Los Angeles.
Your attorney will work to get you compensation for the following types of damages:
- Medical Bills – You probably visited an emergency room after your canine attack. Emergency room visits are expensive on their own, but if you also need stitches or surgery, the bills continue to mount.
- Permanent Scarring or Disfigurement –Scarring and disfigurement after a dog attack can permanently affect your quality of life. You should be compensated for that kind of suffering.
- Pain and Suffering – A canine bite can cause a great deal of pain and suffering both in the moment and as you recover.
- Lost Wages or Earning Potential – Perhaps your Los Angeles dog bite injury caused you to miss work while you recovered or prevented you from working altogether. These types of expenses should be covered.
Your Los Angeles canine bite lawyer will help you construct a strong claim to give you the best possible chance of getting the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Los Angeles Dog Bite Injury Lawyer
In California, the statute of limitations for filing a dog bite personal injury case is two years from the date of the incident. So don’t delay; give Haffner Law a call. We’re ready to negotiate a settlement or take your dog bite claim to trial.
Call 213-514-5681 or fill out the contact form below to discuss your case with a Los Angeles dog bite lawyer.