The coronavirus pandemic has significantly reduced the number of vehicles on the streets and freeways of Los Angeles as people are encouraged to stay at home. Despite the mostly empty roadways, normal life attempts to go on. Unfortunately, that includes vehicular accidents of all sorts.
Compiled reports during the nationwide lockdown indicate that there has been a marked increase in car accidents. This makes the services of car accident lawyers and expert Uber accident attorneys even more important. You should also be aware of the necessary precautions you should employ if you’re involved in a vehicular accident during the lockdown.
Empty Roads, Reckless Drivers
According to a report published by the National Safety Council, fatalities from motor vehicle accidents climbed by 14%. The increase in fatalities in roadways are more notable in the following states:
- Connecticut: 42%
- Louisiana: 23%
- New York: 17%
- Arkansas: 16%
- Nevada: 10%
- North Carolina: 10%
- Oklahoma: 9%
- California: 8%
But why would roadway death increase when there are fewer people out driving? Experts suggest that the open streets and lanes appear more inviting to irresponsible drivers. The decreased number of vehicles makes the roads more tempting to reckless drivers looking for an excuse to break the speed limit. The pandemic could also have reduced the number of law enforcement personnel monitoring the streets.
The temptation to break speed limits and behave dangerously on the road could affect private car owners as well as drivers for ride-hailing apps. But what should you do if you or the ride-share car you’ve booked get into a car accident?
The coronavirus pandemic has decreased vehicles on the road but increased car accidents. You need to follow some important precautions if you want to avoid unnecessary exposure.
- Get medical help immediately if you or someone else involved in the accident sustained an injury. Do not hesitate to cooperate with first responders.
- Maintain social distancing procedures as much as you can. If you have to give a statement to law enforcement or interact with anyone, keep a minimum of six feet away.
- If you are exchanging phone numbers or insurance information, verbally share these details clearly instead of handing pens and paper with other people.
- Do not wait to go to the hospital if needed. You may be hesitant to go anywhere near a medical facility now, but not doing so might exacerbate any injuries sustained and could be dangerous in the long run.
- Brace yourself for delays, from processing your insurance to resolving lawsuits you may file. The pandemic and the measures employed to control its spread might impede most processes. Be patient and remember that these measures are in place for a reason.
Car accidents are some of the most serious incidents that could happen to you or a loved one. The pandemic will present some difficulties in processing any legal action you may want to pursue against a reckless driver. You need to work with a professional law firm with years of experience in handling similar cases if you’re going to receive the justice you deserve.
Vehicular and Ride-Hailing Accident Attorneys in Los Angeles
Haffner Lawyers have successfully represented multiple clients and have won millions of dollars in settlements for our clients. Our team has years of experience building cases involving car accidents and have the expertise to pursue justice for the victims of incidents involving ride-hailing apps. Check out our successful cases and see what we could do for you.
Call us today and schedule a free consultation.
(This is an attorney advertisement by Joshua Haffner)