The effects of PTSD on victims’ lives are vast, and the expenses victims face are high. Fortunately, a Los Angeles PTSD attorney can help you pursue compensation for all you’ve been through.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition people suffer after experiencing some form of traumatic event. It can be just as debilitating as a physical injury and often lasts longer. The costs you face in therapy and lost time at work can easily threaten your family’s financial freedom and peace of mind.
If you’re suffering from emotional trauma because of someone’s negligent or malicious actions, the at-fault party deserves to face justice. Winning a personal injury lawsuit is difficult, but winning one involving PTSD can be even harder. You may need a Los Angeles PTSD lawyer with experience fighting for victims in California. And you’ll find that lawyer at Haffner Law.
PTSD and Its Symptoms<
PTSD is most commonly associated with soldiers who see combat, but it can develop in anyone who goes through something physically or emotionally traumatic. The symptoms associated with PTSD fall into four main groups and usually present themselves in a few months. They can become chronic or only remain for six months or so.
Symptom categories are as follows:
- Re-experiencing –Experiencing flashbacks to the incident, bad dreams, and dark or frightening thoughts
- Avoidance – Consciously or unconsciously avoiding thoughts, feelings, places, situations, objects, or events surrounding the traumatic event, such as flying or driving
- Arousal and Reactivity – Difficulty eating, sleeping, and concentrating, trouble with daily tasks, becoming easily startled, constantly feeling nervous or tense, or suffering from emotional outbursts, such as sudden rage
- Cognition and Mood –Difficulty remembering specifics of the traumatic encounter (repressed memories), unhealthy thoughts, abnormal feelings of guilt, and loss of interest in or enjoyment of formerly satisfying activities
Your PTSD lawyer in Los Angeles can help you account for all of your symptoms and how they have affected your life.
What Can Cause PTSD?
Many experiences can lead to PTSD. To file a personal injury lawsuit, your Los Angeles PTSD claim lawyer must find the cause of the experience or accident. Each situation can involve one or more causes, and we have to identify them in order to accurately deduce fault.
Types of PTSD-causing experiences include the following:
- Motor vehicle accidentslike car and truck crashes
- Bad hospital visits or procedures gone wrong
- Animal attacks,, and otherpremises liability accidents
- Work-related injuries and construction accidents
- Exploding gas grills or deep fryers and other product liability cases
- Sexual abuse
- Suffering or witnessing violent attacks
Non-Economic Damages and PTSD
It’s easier to place a monetary value on physical damages, but emotional trauma is just as real and life-changing as a broken bone—often more so. The costs you face will exacerbate your issues if you can’t get the proper compensation you deserve from the at-fault party. We’ll work with your healthcare providers to make it clear how PTSD has negatively affected your life.
Your PTSD attorney in Los Angeles can help you pursue compensation for all of your damages, including those that don’t directly involve money (non-economic damages). These may include the following:
- Mental health therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium, society, and companionship
- Injury to reputation
Damages that involve money (economic damages) may include the following:
- Lost income
- Punitive damages
- Disability accommodations for daily life, such as animals for emotional support
Talk to a Los Angeles PTSD Attorney
Get in touch with your Los Angeles PTSD lawyer at Haffner Law. We have the resources necessary to get you the compensation you and your family need. Schedule a free, no-pressure case consultation by filling out the form below or calling us at 1-844-HAFFNER (423-3637).